Nandrolone Deconoate Dosages and Administration
Nandrolone Decanoate was originally recommended to be prescribed at a dosage of 50 – 100mg every 3 – 4 weeks, for no longer than 12 weeks. Because every medical condition, disability or disease can be different, the prescription recommendations for Deca have changed to suit the individual patient’s needs. For instance, anemic patients were prescriped 100 – 200mg per week, a Nandrolone Deconoate dosage that is considerably larger than the common prescription doses.
For the purpose of performance and physique enhancement, Deca is usually used by beginners in the range of 300 – 500mg per week. Intermediate users normally do not have to venture above the 500mg mark within that beginner range, especially when Nandrolone Deconoate is stacked with other compounds such as Testosterone and/or another oral compound as a kickstarter. Advanced users should likewise have no major requirement to veer outside this dose range, but should an advanced user require a higher dose to elicit gains, a range of approximately 600 – 800mg or greater should suffice, especially if Nandrolone is the primary anabolic compound of a cycle and Testosterone is simply run as a supportive compound at TRT (Testosterone Replacement Therapy) doses.
Nandrolone Deconoate Side Effects
Nandrolone Deconoate is often cited as an anabolic steroid that is very ‘mild’ by comparison to other compounds where side effects are concerned. Unfortunately, this is a mix of fact and fiction that needs to be addressed, and most of these ‘Deca is a mild steroid’ claims are from a bygone era where not much was yet known about these drugs, and today we know much more. Deca-Durabolin is by all accounts both a mild and harsh anabolic steroid, possessing both such properties.
The good news is that Nandrolone Deconoate experiences a very low aromatization rate into Estrogen, making estrogenic side effects less of an issue compared to other anabolic steroids. Although Estrogen related side effects are not totally and utterly eliminated with Deca, it is more manageable and users should therefore still be conscious of this fact. Estrogenic side effects can include bloating, water retention, blood pressure increases as a result of water retention, and gynecomastia.
As a Progestin, Deca can also increase Prolactin levels in the body. All of the Progesterone and Prolactin related issues can manifest in the form of side effects that are very similar to Estrogen – puffy nipples, gynecomastia, bloating, etc. Anti-estrogens and aromatase inhibitors are known for combating these side effects effectively even if they are attenuated through the Progesterone receptor. However, for Prolactin issues, the use of vitamin B6 in order to control Prolactin levels has been demonstrated in studies using 600mg daily. Anti-prolactin drugs such as Cabergoline and Bromocriptine are also very effective at reducing elevated Prolactin levels effectively, and are often the first line of treatment in Prolactin issues.
Nandrolone is not a C17-AA oral anabolic steroid, and therefore no effects on the liver exist with this compound. Deca does express a small degree of androgenic effects, and therefore much like its estrogenic properties, is less of a concern but should still be monitored and kept in mind. Androgenic side effects can include increased oily skin and acne, increased bodily and facial hair growth, increased risk of male pattern baldness (MPB), and an increased risk of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).
Nandrolone does also express side effects that are common among all anabolic steroids: disruption and/or shutdown of the HPTA (Hypothalamic Pituitary Testicular Axis), and negative cardiovascular implications. For a long time, Deca was cited as an anabolic steroid that was mild on its impact on the HPTA and natural endogenous Testosterone levels. This is simply untrue as studies have demonstrated that at even as low as 100mg per week of Deca-Durabolin, suppression of endogenous Testosterone production rapidly reached close to 60%, and even higher (and faster) when larger dosages of Deca are used. This is common of any 19-nor compound, and the severe and rapid suppression is due to Deca Durabolin and other 19-nors being Progestins by nature.
Deca is quite concerning where impacts on the cardiovascular system are concerned, especially with recent discoveries that were not known several decades ago. First and foremost, Deca has shown to decrease HDL (“good” cholesterol) levels by 26% over 10 weeks of administration. And, when compared with Testosterone, Nandrolone tends to exhibit far worse negative cholesterol alterations on average. If these potential cardiovascular issues were not concerning enough, fairly recent data has demonstrated that Deca is 11 times more damaging to blood vessels than Testosterone.
Nandrolone Deconoate Cycles and Uses
Deca-Durabolin is naturally reserved by most athletes and bodybuilders for bulking, mass-adding, and strength-gaining cycles. This is due in part to its positive and beneficial effects on connective and bone tissue, allowing a greater rate of healing in these areas and an added injury preventative when heavier weights are used and more intense physical activity is engaged in.
Being that Deca Durabolin is a long-acting long estered variant of Nandrolone (possessing a half-life of 15 days), Deca-Durabolin cycles are and should be at least 12 weeks in length. Here it is often combined with similar long-estered compounds, such as Testosterone Cypionate. Because of its long acting nature, most users will not experience the ‘kick-in’ of the compound until at least several weeks into the cycle, and this is where many individuals will insert a kickstarting compound into the Deca-Durabolin cycle for the first few weeks. This is typically any oral anabolic steroid, such as Dianabol, oral Winstrol, Anadrol, Anavar, etc. However, for the purposes of bulking and strength gaining, most individuals tend to lean towards compounds generally suitable for these goals, such as Anadrol (Oxymetholone) or Dianabol (Methandrostenolone) for the first 4 – 6 weeks. These compounds are used because of their mass-adding properties that lend themselves to Deca and Testosterone quite well.
This is where the typical age-old cycle stack of Testosterone / Deca / Dianabol is often discussed. Quite simply put, this is the most popular cycle stack in all history. The Testosterone/Nandrolone/Dianabol stack was originally devised, pioneered, and popularized by the golden era bodybuilders of the 1960s and 1970s. This particular stack is often recommended for all tiers of users (beginners, intermediates, and advanced) as it is a timeless stack that will provide quality gains to any user no matter the experience.
- Influence of administration of pyridoxine on circadian rhythm of plasma ACTH, cortisol prolactin and somatotropin in normal subjects. Barletta C, Sellini M, Bartoli A, Bigi C, Buzzetti R, Giovannini C. Boll Soc Ital Biol Sper. 1984 Feb 28;60(2):273-8.
- Verhelst J, Abs R, Maiter D, et al. (July 1999). “Cabergoline in the treatment of hyperprolactinemia: a study in 455 patients”. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 84 (7): 2518–22. doi:10.1210/jc.84.7.2518. PMID 10404830.
- Webster J, Piscitelli G, Polli A, Ferrari CI, Ismail I, Scanlon MF (October 1994). “A comparison of cabergoline and bromocriptine in the treatment of hyperprolactinemic amenorrhea. Cabergoline Comparative Study Group”. N. Engl. J. Med. 331 (14): 904–9. doi:10.1056/NEJM199410063311403. PMID 7915824.
- Colao A, Di Sarno A, Guerra E, De Leo M, Mentone A, Lombardi G (April 2006). “Drug insight: Cabergoline and bromocriptine in the treatment of hyperprolactinemia in men and women”. Nat Clin Pract Endocrinol Metab 2 (4): 200–10. doi:10.1038/ncpendmet0160. PMID 16932285.
- The administration of pharmacological doses of testosterone or 19-nortestosterone to normal men is not associated with increased insulin secretion or impaired glucose tolerance. Karl E. Friedl et al. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 68:971, 1989.
- Influence of nandrolone decanoate on the pituitary-gonadal axis in males. Bijlisma J, Duursma S, Thijssen J, Huber O. Acta Endocrinol 101 (1982):108-12.
- Metabolic effects of nandrolone decanoate and resistance training in men with HIV. Sattler FR, Schroeder ET, Dube MP, Jaque SV, Martinez C, Blanche PJ,Azen S,Krauss RM. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2002.
- Lipemic and lipoproteinemic effects of natural and synthetic androgens in humans. Crist DM, Peake GT, Stackpole PF, Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 1986 Jul;13(7):513-8.
- Toxicol Lett. 2007 Mar 8; 169(2):129-36.